Thursday, August 23, 2012

Of Good Conscience

A friend of mine posted this on facebook today. She's an unabashed follower of Rush Limbaugh, Andrew Breitbart, etc.

This is what I posted in response. I'm usually not this brave.

"You're right. I need to speak up. You ready? I think Dinesh D'Souza's theories about Obama's 'rage' are based on poor logic, drawing the flimsiest of conclusions from twisted facts. Over the past five years, Obama's opponents have sucked people into believing a thoroughly fabricated version of who Obama is, including far too many people I love and otherwise respect. Frankly, it's disconcerting and bewildering.

"Disagree with his center-left policies. Fine. Criticize him because our economy isn't growing fast enough for our taste, ignoring the fact that by the end of 2008 we were in free fall and our economy is now stabilized and moving in the right direction (while many other developed economies are still reeling). Fine. Don't vote for him. Fine.

"But he is not even remotely a far-left radical with an anti-business, anti-American agenda. Trust me. I know a surprising number of far-left radicals and they don't believe he is one of them. Hell, even the health care reform he pushed for had its genesis in proposals made by Republicans during the Clinton years and the conservative Heritage Foundation (both the mandate and the exchanges).

"I sure hope if he is re-elected, our good citizens will take a deep breath. But I'm afraid the hatred of a man that doesn't even exist runs too deep for that."

I get Orwell on a whole new and frightening level.

No comments:

Post a Comment