I want to start out this post by saying very clearly that I believe in the principle of meeting our own needs whenever possible, especially so we can be in a better position to provide assistance to others. Providing for ourselves, living within our means, all of it. It's personally satisfying, and it's good citizenship. Both of my jobs involve helping people get to a place of self reliance.
But I wonder if the value we place on self reliance is causing us to lose important perspective. Too many voices I hear are becoming more judgmental and less charitable. And they are getting louder.
The other day I was talking with someone who represents a private religious charity that provides temporary aid for people who have no place to go (a few nights of shelter, a change of clothes, a bus token). He mentioned that they'd discovered a particular client had managed to get help from several of their offices to the tune of hundreds and hundreds of dollars. What should they do with clients like him? Clients who are becoming dependent?
Turns out I've met the particular client he was referring to. He's a man who has brain damage from being shot in the head twice.
He is becoming dependent!? That is the main concern?
When on earth did Jesus ever say to give to the poor unless, of course, you are concerned that they are becoming dependent?
Heaven help us!

My husband and I have had the same concerns. Since when were we told we could judge whether or not someone "deserved" our charity? As a man in our ward pointed out in Sunday School last year, the Book of Mormon doesn't tell us to provide for people's needs, it says to provide for their wants. Who are we to judge?
ReplyDelete26 And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you—that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may walk guiltless before God—I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants. (Mosiah 4:26)